Campal Heritage Walk
Art and Design
About the Campal Heritage Walk:
Often excluded from the list of must-see tourist attractions in Goa, the precinct of Campal is truly a hidden gem waiting to be discovered. After a devastating epidemic in the mid-18th century, the colonial Portuguese government moved the capital from the old city to Nova Goa (present day Panjim). Built under the dynamic vision of former Viceroy Dom Manuel, the neighborhood of Campal is a stunning example of thoughtful town planning, giving birth to one of the most beautiful localities in the country. Explore the area’s picturesque riverfront promenade, lush gardens and magnificent heritage buildings, and experience the strong sense of community spirit that continues to this day.
- Trace the history and evolution of Panjim, from a small fishing hamlet to a buzzing state capital. Our Campal heritage walk takes you on a journey through the impressively planned neighborhood – from its gridiron streets to its unique self-sufficient residential homes.
- Stop by an 18th century chapel with an endearing origin story, and saunter down the riverfront promenade with breathtaking views of the Mandovi river.
- Explore the iconic Francisco Luis Gomes Garden (also known as the Campal Gardens), and marvel at the exotic flora and vegetation introduced to the region by the Portuguese.
- Learn about Gomes and other revolutionary thinkers who have shaped the history and ethos of Goa.
- Visit a charming century-old heritage home that has now been converted into a boutique homestay, and enjoy a refreshing drink and light snack.
- Soak in a delightful performance by a local musician in a candid and natural setting.
Saunter through the idyllic precinct of Campal in Panjim as we uncover the fascinating heritage of one of Goa’s hidden gems.
Need help to choose an experience, or combine multiple experiences to make a day of it, or make group bookings for 20+ people?
Call: +91 9764972646
Our experiences are led by passionate, professional, English-speaking local storytellers.
Similar experiences nearby
Panjim, Goa • 3 Hours • From Rs. 2500
Panjim, Goa • 3 Hours •
Panjim, Goa • 2 Hours • From Rs. 2500
Panjim, Goa • 1 Hour • From Rs. 2999
Panjim, Goa • 1 Hour • From Rs. 1299
Similar type of experiences
South Goa • 2 Hours • From Rs. 1200
North Goa • 1 Hour 15 Mins • From Rs. 700
North Goa • 1 hr 15 Min • From Rs. 500
Panjim, Goa • 3 Hours •
North Goa • 35 Minutes • From Rs. 500