Experience the Fontainhas Heritage Walk, an old Latin quarter of Panjim
The Fontainhas Heritage Walk is an immersive walking tour in Goa narrating its past. Witness the Portuguese past that eventually survived the onslaught of development in the 21st century. The houses are dressed in yellow, green and blue, balconies fronted by wrought iron railings and tiled roofs transporting you to another era.
Fontainhas is not only the oldest but the largest Latin quarter of Asia. Located at the foot of the hills, Altinho hills with springs surround Fontainhas on the west side, which give it its name from Portuguese for “little fountain”. The ancient creek known as the Ourem creek binds it on the east side. In the monsoons, experience the rain soaked streets in our Fontainhas Heritage Walk. The rainy season of Goa adds to the feel the special charm as one can quietly stroll through the narrow streets.
In the late eighteenth century, a Goan expatriate named Antonio Joao de Sequeira, who had made his wealth while working in Mozambique, established Fontainhas. The name came from the fountain at the foot of the hill which began to sprout around 1770. It is patterned along the lines of Lisbon’s Bairo Alto.
The people of Fontainhas lead an affluent life. Get access to heritage homes, appreciate Portuguese architecture, meet wonderful people and experience the cultural side of Goa like never before. We will take you to meet a renowned Goan musician who plays Fado and Latin music.
The walk begins Tobacco Square near the main Post Office in Panjim and then leads us into the heritage precinct of St. Thomas ward, passing the small church of San Thome.
We visit the famous old 31st January Bakery, and then move into the Fontainhas area passing the chapel of San Sebastian. This leads to a cluster of interesting buildings around Panjim Inn, Fundacao Orient, and Galerie Gitanjali.
We visit a famous Goan musician and get an insight into Portuguese influence on Goan music. We then stop by ‘Marcou Artifacts’ a local producer of handcrafted ceramic souvenirs of Goa and then return to the Post Office by a different route.
Good To Know
- Closest Airport: Dabolim Airport.
- Closest Railway Station: Thivim Train Station which is 15 km away from Fontainhas.
- Bus : In Panjim where major state transport corporation buses operate. In Goa you will find the Kadamba Transport Corporation (KTC) which originates from Goa, Maharashtra State Road Transport Corporation (MSRTC), from Maharashtra, and the Karnataka State Road Transport from Karnataka. All the state transport buses, usually begin and terminate at the Kadamba bus stand in Panjim.
- Local English-speaking guide
- Entry to 2 Heritage homes
- Meeting with a well renowned Goan musician
- Souvenirs of Goa
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Additional food and drinks
- Souvenirs and items of a personal nature
This Tour is organized by Make it Happen, Travel Designers a tour operation company committed towards curating and developing cultural and community based tours.
By showcasing local artists and craftsmen we aim to preserve these dying arts forms. We will take you to a few recommended stores where you can buy local products. Shopping at these stores helps inject money into the local economy.
- Please do not tip our guides
- Please follow instruction and safety guideline of our guides during the tour.
- Be aware of people’s sensitivity to being photographed. Please ask first. Please take permission of the host before photographing inside the houses we visit.
- We are committed to a healthier planet. We recommend to carry reusable water bottles and avoid the use of disposable plastic bottles.