Nilgiris Gypsy Drive
[trx_column_item align=”left”]The Nilgiris – its various moods, its little known nooks and crannies, its lakes, its Indigenous people, glimpses of pre-history buried deep inside its forests.
Starting Point :
Duration : 3 days
Type : Tribal Culture
Ideal Season :
Cost : Cost INR 15000 per person
[trx_tabs style=”1″ initial=”1″ scroll=”no” height=”300″ bottom=”20″ left=”20″ right=”20″]
About this trip
The Nilgiris – its various moods, its little known nooks and crannies, its lakes, its Indigenous people, glimpses of pre-history buried deep inside its forests – have always fascinated us.
We travel to Karikiyoor, through some of the most picturesque routes in the Nilgiris, with breathtaking views of the Bhawani reservoir laid out at the base of the Nilgiris. Finally we trek to a spot deep inside the forests to one of the oldest recorded sites where ancient people lived, and their art work.
We take a tour of the grand lakes in the Nilgiris, surrounded by high mountains and forests – shoal, pine and Nilgiri grasslands. Wildlife abounds and sighting is common during sunrise and sunset.
• Scenic drive through Malavalli, Kollegal and Chamrajanagar, passing next to the Sathyamangalam Tiger Reserve, the BhawaniSagar Reservoir to reach Mettupalyam.
• Camping in the Open near the beautiful Avalanchi Lake
• Barbecue and live music, impromptu dance lessons
• Visit to Porivarai, a site within the Sathyamangalam forests housing a 10000 year old rock painting site, possibly the oldest human habitation in the sub-continent.
• Introduction to the Irula tribals
• Exploration of the finest lakes in the Nilgiris – Avalanche, Pykara, Parsons valley, Porthimund etc.[/trx_tab]
[trx_tab title=”Itinerary”]Day 1: Drive to Mettupalyam and up along the Ghat roads to our camping site
Start from UB City, we take the NH 209 and proceed towards Malavalli, Kollegal and Chamrajanagar. From there, we take a left turn and pass next to the Sathyamangalam Tiger Reserve, the Bhawani Sagar Reservoir to reach Mettupalyam. Distance; 294 KMS, Time take: 6 hrs.
From Mettupalyam we proceed to our camping site in the Nilgiris. This is a distance of about 75 kms, up the scenic Ghat roads.
Day 2:Visit to Karikyoor, an Irula settlement and the gateway to Porivarai
We drive to Porivarai, the rock shelter that bears the testimony of the people who settled there 10000 years ago. We set off after an early breakfast, and proceed towards Sholur Mattam and beyond to a little known Irula village called Karikayur.
Day 3:Explore the different Lakes of the Nilgiris and departure for Bangalore.
We spend this day exploring some of the lakes of the Nilgiris – Avalanche, Pykara, Parsons valley, Porthimund etc.
We start early, and finish off visiting the lakes by 12. Then we head back to the resort, have a quick lunch, and set off for Bangalore by 3 PM. While coming back we would take the familiar route through Ooty, Mudumalai and Bandipur, cut across Mysore and take the Mysore Road back to the city.[/trx_tab]
[trx_tab title=”Facts”]• Location: near Stanley Park, Ooty, Nilgiris.
• Distance: 327 kms from Bangalore
• Journey Time: 7 hrs by road
• Route: Via kanakapura-KM Doddi – Malavalli –