Fontainhas Heritage Walk
Experience the Fontainhas Heritage Walk, an old Latin quarter of Panjim
The Fontainhas Heritage Walk is an immersive walking tour in Goa narrating its past. Witness the Portuguese past that eventually survived the onslaught of development in the 21st century. The houses are dressed in yellow, green and blue, balconies fronted by wrought iron railings and tiled roofs transporting you to another era.
Fontainhas is not only the oldest but the largest Latin quarter of Asia. Located at the foot of the hills, Altinho hills with springs surround Fontainhas on the west side, which give it its name from Portuguese for "little fountain". The ancient creek known as the Ourem creek binds it on the east side. In the monsoons, experience the rain soaked streets in our Fontainhas Heritage Walk. The rainy season of Goa adds to the feel the special charm as one can quietly stroll through the narrow streets.
In the late eighteenth century, a Goan expatriate named Antonio Joao de Sequeira, who had made his wealth while working in Mozambique, established Fontainhas. The name came from the fountain at the foot of the hill which began to sprout around 1770. It is patterned along the lines of Lisbon’s Bairo Alto.
The people of Fontainhas lead an affluent life. Get access to heritage homes, appreciate Portuguese architecture, meet wonderful people and experience the cultural side of Goa like never before. We will take you to meet a renowned Goan musician who plays Fado and Latin music.
– A guided tour by a friendly host / presenter.
– Breakfast / Lunch / High Tea served in a traditional Goan House
– Learn a few Goan recipes.
– Visit one the finest Baroque churches in Goa
– Insight into traditional fishing methods that are still practices.
– Visit some of the ancient temple sites.
Experience the splendor of Saligao village in our Saligao Village Walking Tour
Take a walk through the village wards of Saligao while picturesque fields surround the settlement. Visit a Portuguese house and get a chance to meet some of Goa’s renowned artists in our Saligao Village Walking Tour. Witness the simple yet splendid village lifestyle.
Situated amidst picturesque surroundings of the typical Goan countryside is the Mae De Deus church at Saligao. Mae de Deus is stark, stern with a glamorous charm in contrast with Baroque style churches of Goa. The Mae de Deus church is a breathtaking sight with its Gothic spires and pristine white walls. It is among the finest in the Gothic style and is attractively illuminated at night.
Built in 1873, it is the finest example of Neo-Gothic architecture in Goa which is in contract to the Baroque style churches of Goa. It houses the miraculous statue of Mae de Deus. The statue was eventually brought from the ruins of the convent of Mae de Deus at Old Goa.
A walk through Saligao, one of the more prosperous villages of Goa, owing to the business acumen of its early settlers. The architectural aesthetics of Saligao today reflect the creative style of some of the renowned artists of Goa who have chosen to live a splendid village lifestyle.
-A guided tour with a friendly local guide
-Visit Goa’s only Gothic style church.
-Walk through the wards of Saligao village flanked by rice fields.
-Explore contemporary Goan art and architecture.
-Get a chance to meet some of the artists at their homes.
A guided tour with a friendly local guide
Visit Goa’s only Gothic style church.
Walk through the wards of Saligao village flanked by rice fields.
Explore contemporary Goan art and architecture.
Get a chance to meet some of the artists at their homes.
What to expect:
The walk begins with the introduction of Mae De Deus Church and a briefing about the early settlers of the region.
Proceed to walk into the village wards through the trails flanked by beautiful rice fields. Visit a house that showcases Portuguese style architecture and interiors and also meet some the artists at their homes.
Fixed Departure: 4:30 pm on Fri, Sat
Cost: INR 500 per person
Private: Daily at 4:30 pm
Cost: INR 500- 2000 per person (Depending on group size)
Starting Point: Mae De Deus Church, Saligao
– This Tour is organized by Make it Happen, Travel Designers a tour operation company committed towards curating and developing cultural and community based tours.
– Make It Happen has collaborated with Goa Heritage Action Group (GHAG), an NGO committed toward preserving the natural and built heritage of Goa. Part proceeds of this tour are donated to GHAG. GHAG supports in providing content and training to guides for this tour.
– By showcasing local artists and craftsmen we aim to preserve these dying arts forms. We will take you to a few recommended stores where you can buy local products. Shopping at these stores helps inject money into the local economy.
– Local English-speaking guide
– Entry to Heritage homes
– Meeting with well renowned Goan artists
– Hotel pickup and drop-off
– Additional food and drinks
– Souvenirs and items of a personal nature
– Please do not tip our guides (in case you wish to make an additional donation to Goa Heritage Action Group, you can speak to the guide)
– Please follow instruction and safety guideline of our guides during the tour.
– Be aware of people’s sensitivity to being photographed. Please ask first. Please take permission of the host before photographing inside the houses we visit.
– We are committed to a healthier planet. We recommend to carry reusable water bottles and avoid the use of disposable plastic bottles.