Join in the celebrations of Bonderam Festival on Divar Island
Bonderam festival is a Harvest festival celebrated in mockery of the past feuds between the 2 village wards – Piedalda and Sao Mathias – over property matters often led to bloody duels, and sometimes death.
The Portuguese introduced a system of demarcation of boundaries with flags of various nations. The rival groups, however, knocked down the demarcation flags sometimes with stones. This resulted in the flag festival that occurs like a carnival to mock the Portuguese rulers. It is celebrated with pomp and joy.
– A guided tour by a friendly local guide
– Join in the carnival celebration on the island.
– Witness the preparations in the 2 wards prior the grand carnival
– Lunch served in a traditional Goan House
– Visit one the finest Baroque churches in Goa
– Insight into traditional fishing methods that are still practices.
– Visit some of the ancient temple sites.
The tour begins by taking the ferry across from Ribander to Divar. Our guide and driver will greet you at the ferry point on the Divar side. We will drive around the island and witness the preparations for the grand carnival parade in the evening.
We proceed to the main hill where the Piedade Church is located. In the graveyard of the church is the cemetery chapel which shows remains of the Ganesh temple. We take you inside the Piedade Church which is one the finest Baroque Churches in Goa.
We stop by local bakery to see how the local Pav is made before heading for lunch.
After lunch we visit the sluice gates to understand how the traditional Khazan system works. Then we see the extraordinary Our Lady of Candelaria chapel built on the site of an old temple and a little ahead the ancient Saptakoteshwar temple tank.
At noon people begin trickling into the village. By the evening the trickle is a deluge. An expectant crowd assembles along either side of the main through fare of the village. The gaily coloured floats accompanied by colourfully dressed youngsters make a pretty picture.
Closest Airport: Dabolim Airport
Closest Railway Station: Karmali Railway sattion
By Bus: From Panjim. The major state transport corporation buses operating in Goa are the Kadamba Transport Corporation (KTC), from Goa, Maharashtra State Road Transport Corporation (MSRTC), from Maharashtra and the Karnataka State Road Transport from Karnataka. All the state transport buses, usually begin and terminate at the Kadamba bus stand at Panjim.
– – English-speaking guided tour around the Island
– Vehicle from the Divar side of the ferry
– Hotel pickup and drop-off
– Additional food and drinks
– Souvenirs and items of a personal nature
– Please do not tip our guides (in case you wish to make an additional donation to Goa Heritage Action Group, you can speak to the guide)
– Please follow instruction and safety guideline of our guides during the tour.
– Be aware of people’s sensitivity to being photographed. Please ask first. Please take permission of the host before photographing inside the houses we visit.
– We are committed to a healthier planet. We recommend to carry reusable water bottles and avoid the use of disposable plastic bottles.
– This Tour is organized by Make it Happen, Travel Designers a tour operation company committed towards curating and developing cultural and community based tours.
– Make It Happen has collaborated with Goa Heritage Action Group (GHAG), an NGO committed toward preserving the natural and built heritage of Goa. Part proceeds of this tour are donated to GHAG. GHAG supports in providing content and training to guides for this tour.
– By showcasing local artists and craftsmen we aim to preserve these dying arts forms. We will take you to a few recommended stores where you can buy local products. Shopping at these stores helps inject money into the local economy.